Thursday, February 7, 2013

Three Weeks To The Big Dance

It is about three and half weeks to Ironman New Zealand. This is my fourth attempt at the 226K triathlon in Lake Taupo, Auckland. My second full-distance race (2010) was neck-tied by two compromised designs in my first and third completion; due to inclement weather, known as 'weather bombs'. I am back to attempt a personal best (PB) in one of the oldest Ironman triathlons in the world.

It has been a hectic two months, with the wet monsoon season affecting the first half of my preparation, and the past month mired with a full teaching schedule (a good thing, I assure you). Being time-crunched, I decided to work around available pockets of time, mainly lasting at least an hour. I worked on the indoor-trainer (cycling), in the gym (weight-training), and running outdoors (regardless of weather, except if there was lightning). On a heavy week, I hit about 15 hours, and a short week was about 10-12 hours in total. I am pleased for my consistency, and the tough-mindedness I have towards boredom (staring at the wall, or my Mind's Eye). So far, my patience and investment in the aerobic-zone training (inspired by Mark Allen and promoted by Phil Maffetone) has paid off nicely, with a stronger anaerobic return. I am feeling more confident about this block of training than in the previous three IMNZ 'hits'. On some days, I split my workouts into two, and recover enough before my second session.

Life presents us with curveballs and hard-hits, so we need to dodge them or hit harder back. What doesn't kill us, may make us stronger. Think of cancer survivors or those living with a medical condition (such as diabetes, cystic fibrosis or organ transplants); they still live a full life around those they love.

I am raising funds for Children with Cystic Fibrosis. If you would like to help out, please donate whatever amount suits you. Enjoy giving. I will train and race harder for your pledge.

No comments: