Monday, December 12, 2011

Smashing Mental & Physical Barriers

Congratulations Ewin Teo for being Singapore’s and Asia’s fastest finisher in the Ironman Western Australia 2011. He completed his race in 10:20. Perth-based Malaysian Kevin Siah also had a splendid day and came into the chute in 10:27, a massive improvement over last year. Congratulations to all the Singaporeans who completed their first Ironman triathlon!
Here is a personal report by Singapore’s oldest marathoner, Mr Kor Hong Fatt.

I finished the SCMS 2011 in ‘5:49:40’, and met my forecasted time of 6 hours. My target time for the upcoming SCHKM 2012 on 5 February will be 5 hours.

The bib that I chose to wear for the SCMS 2011 was designed not only as a beacon of inspiration for myself, but for the runners around me. It really attracted the attention of numerous runners and spectators before, during, and after the race. Many of them approached me and took photographs with me. Especially during the race, I received many kind words along the course, congratulations, encouragement, and comments like: ‘You are truly an inspiration.’ and ‘You are a role model for us’. It was very heartwarming to note that I did indeed stir some inspiration amongst the marathoners around me to continue to strive to keep on running.
Photo: Kor Hong Fatt
For my upcoming Hong Kong Marathon 2012, I will wear the similar unique bib in response to the Hong Kong Marathon's slogan: " Run For A Reason ". In respect to flying the Singapore flag high, my bib will show:

Age is No Barrier

4 Marathons in 10 Months:
Boston 2011 on Apr 18
Beijing 2011 on Oct 16
Singapore 2011 on Dec 4
Hong Kong 2012 on Feb 5

Running to celebrating my 80th birthday today

Singapore Marathoner
Kor Hong Fatt on 5 Feb 2012

I trust that Mr Kor’s words will launch us off into an inspiring week. Have a great week, everyone!
Results courtesy of Ewin Teo

No comments: