Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Do You Need To Take Such Risks?

This evening, I was doing my tapering session for the marathon. I performed a set of 11km at 4:30 minute pace; and 10km at 5:00 minute pace. I felt good, and pleased with how my legs were holding up. If all goes well, and I keep up with the 3:45 FatBird Pacer I should sneak under my PB of 3:50. My target is 3:40, which by my calculation and progress should be a reasonable stretch. I just need to hydrate adequately and warm up well, and get there early to jockey a strategic position at the front of the pack.

I noticed many dedicated runners logging their final runs this week. They were giving me the glance, for I was the only runner decked out in a two-piece triathlon suit. What perturbed me were several injured runners.

One or two knees were wrapped in either a knee brace, knee wrap or some rehabilitative strap. One runner was plodding on, his technique all compromised. He looked very concerned. Technically, his knee is unstable and he was likely in pain. Why did he bludgeon himself? These runners led me to think, as I committed to my menu of two runs.

Do you sideline yourself, and race another day? Or, do you risk more serious injury just because you have secondary support? When do you take it easy, and when do you call it quits? What is your tipping point for such a decision?

No comments: