Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Wisdom of Fortune Cookies: Cookie Cutter Sayings

Veteran cruise magician, Paul Romhany from New Zealand influenced me last Thursday evening with his trick involving a giant Chinese fortune cookie. This led me to think about the relevance of wisdom through ancient sayings, famous quotations and operating tips.

He began with an obvious one: ‘If you did not have grandparents, you wouldn’t be here.’

In Forrest Gump, the idiot-savant said: ‘Stupid is as stupid does.’

Okay, I am being silly here. I was poking fun at the sayings placed inside these crispy but bland cookies (probably baked by unionized, underpaid elves). However, if we replace those fortune-sayings with more relevant words, we may influence the minds of the cookie-breaker.

Some of my favourite quotations come from television, and they are one-liners from the lead characters of the Crime Scene Investigation (CSI) series. Henceforth, I will introduce bite-sized wisdom through fortune cookie sayings.

Some of these will appear on the Twitter column. I tend to post about two or three each day. In the spirit of ecological correctness and exactness, I will recycle them. Some will be written in jest; tongue-in-cheek sayings that may provoke laughter (or so I hope).

If you have any sage sayings that you would love to share, please submit them to me. I will include your name as acknowledgement. If you could seal your contributions in a fortune cookie, bag of chips, or a Subway sandwich I would appreciate it. ‘The way to a man’s heart is through his stomach.’

What better way to reinforce learning positively with food as a reward?Follow the trail of crumbs...

No comments: