Friday, August 19, 2011

Auditing Yourself

On Tuesday evening, I did a 10K tempo run on the East Coast Park (along our artificial beach – essentially, reclaimed land). This evening, I decided to do a half-marathon tempo run prior to my trip tomorrow. I aimed to complete it at a 5:00 min/K pace. I managed to complete the run in 1:43, at an average pace of 4:55 min/K. I was pleasantly surprised, considering that I have barely run over the last few weeks, except for a 21K race and a 5K cross-country time trial within the last three weeks. My last long run was the Gold Cost Marathon on 3 July where I did a 3:32:07 (two minutes off a second BQ timing). My recent, additional riding and swim drills sessions may have engaged my body to handle more intensity for harder runs.

Throughout my long run, I kept reminding myself to be aware of several salient points:

1)    My Rate of Perceived Exertion: How I felt on a scale of 1-10, so I did not flat-line prematurely.
2)    Checked my measurements on my Garmin 310XT watch (heart rate, distance, average pace per kilometre).
3)    Leaning forward instead of upright (Justin Granger reminded me that I was reducing my speed because of the braking effect).
4)    My thirst and hydration level; as well as my blood-sugar level (I lost some steam towards the second-half of my run).

I met medical doctor, Derek Li, who was obviously running hard this evening; he is an elite age-grouper over the Olympic Distance triathlon. I also met 12-time Ironman triathlon finisher, Clifford and his partner, Min (who is getting fitter and consistent in her running sessions). As I run mainly in my triathlon race-gear, I do attract the occasional curious looks.

Leadership Lessons: Be aware of your surroundings. Conduct systems checks occasionally. These personal audits keep you in good stead, so that you do not deviate or lose focus on your purpose. How often do you audit your values and beliefs? How do you stay accountable to yourself and others?

No comments: