Sunday, May 1, 2011

Water-Logged And A Watershed Ride

Water is one of the five elements of the Chinese, accompanying gold, fire, wood and earth. In chemistry, we know that this natural compound is derived from the volatile hydrogen and combustible oxygen. The human body is 70 percent water, and sustained dehydration can lead to many serious symptoms that may lead to disease.

Our group of six riders unanimously cancelled this morning’s ride into Desaru. Due to it being May Day, the bumboats into Malaysia were enthusiastically booked up, and the latter queues were, unbearably, long. Our 6.00am breakfast of roti prata (Indian wheat pancakes) was soon followed up by a 9.00am brunch of Chinese dim sum snacks. As you can see from the snapshot, we were quite focused about our nutrition.
My ride there was about 20K, so my total distance upon my return would have been 40K – an Olympic Distance ride. I decided to insert a short session of intervals – 2K hard and fast, followed by 2K of reduced cadence (both sets done on almost the highest gear ratio). In some ways, I felt the intensity mimic the climbing of hills; one stretch of Lanzarote (Canary Islands) lasted 4K of a gentle gradient before you hit the mildly distracting petrol-station.

After completing 100K, I decided to head off for lunch (I get frighteningly famished after aerobic activity) when I felt my pedaling feel bumpy. I thought I had run over some debris from the earlier bout of rain, however it felt too urgent in its plea. It turned out to be a flat on my rear tyre – not good as I was on carbon rims, and surely did not want to damage it. I gave the flaccid tyre a quick inflation with my aerosol pump, however it did not fill up fully. I un-cleated my shoes and walked barefoot to the hawker-centre whereupon I had some grub, and called for a taxi back. My first call, annoyingly, yielded no takers and a few random flag-downs of arriving taxis had concerned looks from the drivers of my dirty bike and my predicament. I muttered some unmentionables under my breath before continuing on my sojourn to the food-stalls.

Despite the puncture, I was glad I chose to ride in the drizzle; in spite of the rising horrid humidity I completed my planned sets. The gremlins did reveal their voices whispering tempting messages into my vulnerable brain, but I resisted – crucial on race-day when it is so easy to succumb to a walking spree when fatigue hits you with full force. With exactly three weeks to my next Ironman race, I will focus on tapering – still doing up to 60 percent of the usual mileage and duration. It is so easy to slack off and elect excuses to be inactive. This morning’s DNS (Did Not Show) weighed on everyone’s mind for some time, I am sure.

A Big Shout Out to Brian Tan for successfully defending his title at the TriBob Mini-Sprint Triathlon! I am looking forward to our group 20K run tomorrow morning and listen to his race story.

Pete Jacobs wins Ironman Australia today. It is his first IM win. Congratulations Pete! I am waiting for my friend Terry Tc Campbell (55-59 years) to cross the line by midnight – he has completed a dozen-and-more IM triathlons. Go for it, mate! [Tc successfully crossed the line an Ironman - again - in 16:53:45]

Photo-credits: Vijch G K

No comments: