Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Post-Race Reflection & Pondering

My individual results for Sunday’s 2XU 12K Compression Run:

Nett Time: 53:41
Gun time: 54:01
Rank: 92 out 5211 (Men’s Competitive - Gun-time)

Good news: top-2 percent of field of male entrants; it should be higher for the entire field of 7,000. Better news: I held an average of 4:29 minute/K pace; and that my plan of action for a 3:15 marathon is, on-track. Coach has been prescribing me my thrice, weekly sessions. However, my progress is still hampered by not doing enough specific, interval training sessions. After IM Lanzarote, I aim to do a few shorter races to brush up my speed. This may include another time trial with Macritchie Runners (MR25), to improve my time over the 5K cross-country route (cutoff time: less than 25 minutes). Do you know that their elite-level for Masters class is less than 19:30!

I was pleased to keep my pace up, and even overtake a few of my inspirations. However, I would rather lead behind them on their best day instead of their worst. It is my need to prove my worth, and do of my best. Mediocrity includes not attempting your best when you need to. Under-achieve, hold back too often, or give up too readily – these are signs of potential trouble, and resignation to resigning. Taking the short flight of steps and few slopes, I experienced some fatigue – it seems that I have been slack in my core workouts. I will need to resume my regular CrossFit sessions, focused on my strengthening work on my legs. I have to step it up, if you know that exercise. 
*****
I will be off for an overseas teaching assignment. I won’t be able to post. Thus, the advance post, dated as per daily uploads.

No comments: