Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Do The Write Thing

I have been asked often: How do you write so regularly? My answer is terse: I maintain a daily blog on leadership. Therefore, I need to post as expected, be consistent, and lead with my messages.

Writing takes discipline, and this personal set of rules is no different from the decision to swim at lunch or run before sunrise. Write on your blog. Post on Facebook. Tweet. Writing means you think, then write. Learn four new words everyday. Appreciate the origins and historical reference of the vocabulary that we use. Here is the source I use when I need to reference a word or phrase.

Writing has built new connections for me. I used to have a handful of loyal readers (whom I am grateful to/for) and today, daily readership has grown. This is due to many connections we have established through collaborations in the social media circle.

Certainly, this blog can improve. I am sure I could migrate to a more permanent and flexible platform. However, I am a creature of habit and I am focused on content. Content is king! Sure, embellishments can make for a visually attractive site, however I prefer and believe in the relevance of the stories we post, interviews we conduct, depth of reviews, and recognition of others. In particular, we enjoy bringing to your attention the coterie of guests and discoveries we have made of people of excellence.

Triathlon is just an analogy; it is not the centerpiece of this blog. Anyone with endurance, persistence, tenacity, patience and determination meets our criteria for an endurance athlete. Bill Bowerman, co-founder of Nike used to say: ‘Anybody with a body is an athlete!’ Everyone has leadership qualities; we just access it differently and at different occasions.

Practice makes permanent – perfect practice makes perfect – so, practice through writing. Write on.
*****
Today, at about 12.00pm (local time) or 27 April in New York, would be the result for the lottery drawing for the New York City Marathon 2011. Hopefully, I’ll bag my slot for this cold run over the five famous boroughs of The Big Apple. My friend Andrea wrote a report on her 2009 maiden marathon experience. Enjoy the read!

This morning, I swam for an hour comprising drills and body position. I chased this session with an evening 2-hour ride (intervals on a closed circuit). I then did a run-brick of 30 minutes at Ironman tempo pace (5:30 minutes/km). My body feels stronger after two weeks of laboured breathing (due to a head-cold). My training heart rates are back to normal, and I can resume my tough Gold Coast Marathon program prescribed by Coach. Not easy, I assure you as The Fox has a way of cranking up the intensity without breaking me down – for that, I am grateful. Have a good day!

No comments: