Saturday, April 23, 2011

Elastic Laces, Elastic Bands and Being Flexible

I was taught by my coach to fix my bike-shoes onto my pedals in advance, so that my Transition 1 would be faster. To facilitate my mount onto my bike, my shoes are attached, with elastic bands, onto the rear wheel. This keeps the shoes parallel to each other, and do not drag on the floor. Upon mounting my bike, I can begin peddling (feet on my shoes) and the elastic bands will snap upon spinning.
Elastic laces are useful attachments. Instead of lengthy laces that flail during the run, and take a little more time to tie a ribbon with, elastic laces are more relevant during the ride-run transition (2). When affixed and cut to the required length, all we need to do is slip our socked feet into them, and then tighten then retaining locks. Then, off we go! To put on lock-laces, or similar devices, here are clear instructions.

Between the two elastics, the laces cost more, however they can last for at least a dozen races. The rubber bands cost no more than searching for them, and they are ubiquitous in our environment. We use these springy materials creatively to allow us to safe time, thus becoming more efficient.

Leadership Lessons: How do you facilitate your meetings? How do you facilitate productive conversations with your colleagues and customers? How do you stay flexible in the presence of tension or conflict?

No comments: