Friday, July 23, 2010

Training For Triathlons in the Heat

This contribution came from my friend, David Chambers, who completed Ironman New Zealand in about 11:30 this year. He also raised a significant amount for the Cystic Fibrosis For Kids charity, as part of his Ironman quest at Lake Taupo, New Zealand. Thank you, David!

The following suggestions came from a female professional:

Preparation
·      I train in weather that has the least systemic stress which means I often start at 6 a.m.!
·      Two weeks out from my race, I start training later to end my training day in the heat.
·      I hydrate throughout the day and strive for the “hint of yellow” in my nature breaks.
·      I pick clothing that will provide maximal coverage and the least heat absorption.
·      I practice my implementation in training. Repeatedly.

Implementation
·      If it’s a cloudy day, I wear a visor.
·      If it’s a sunny day I wear some sort of white hat to reflect the sun.
·      On the ride I frequently douse my head and body with water.
·      I have a small cooler in transition filled with ice.
·      Before I start the race I place my hat in it upside down and full of ice.
·      When I start the run, I take the hat full of ice and place it on my head.
·      I frequently toss water over my body on the run.
·      I refresh ice in hat and may place some in bra, back and even shorts.
·      I wear shoes and socks that will drain easily to protect my feet.
·      When all else fails I improvise.

No comments: