Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Back On Track

My joints are somewhat noisy – snap, crackle and pop – a reflection of my body’s response to endurance sports. Plus, I have been clocking at least 65km per week of running, more mileage than training for an Ironman. The salient injuries I experienced a few weeks ago have diminished, and I hope healing fast. Tonight, I posted a reasonably quick 11km time (distance from my home to a designated end-point along the beach). I am very close to cracking my personal best time. It should be soon, although patience would be better for me. I have exactly two months before to peak for the 42.195km in Berlin.

I have been studying how my body responds to running and the FITT model. Here is my summary on Frequency, Intensity, Type and Time:

1)    To increase my speed, I have found that Fartlek, interval training and tempo running to be highly useful. However, I found that doing it alternate days helps my body recover.
2)    Leaning forward, and running on my forefoot and mid-sole keeps me injury-free.
3)    System check: I close my eyes for 6-8 steps as it allows me to focus on my proprioception: This is my internal sense of balance. Our eyes de-emphasise our reliance on this biological gyroscope we all have.
4)    I continue doing my core stability exercise: I do them before or after my run. Before the run, these exercises activate my glutes, hamstrings and lower back – all essential for comfortable run.
5)    Have a cold sports drink, one mainly with carbohydrates (such as malto-dextrin) and electrolytes half an hour before physical activity. Cold water or chilled drinks are easier for body to absorb.
6)    I conduct one time trial a week, either on my 10km or 21km. These give a strong gauge on my progress.
7)    I find a strong runner and stick closely to him/her for a certain distance. This is to align my sense of competition, especially if I choose a younger runner. I condition my mind to racing because that is precisely what I will be doing in Berlin.

I have a less stressful two weeks before the inaugural Youth Olympic Games, with a sneak preview of the Opening Ceremony on 7 August. My sports association has a Venue Exercise on Sunday with 600 volunteers, and the Indoor Hall at Toa Payoh looks ready to go. It should be a great experience for our young athletes, youth commentators, youthful volunteers, seasoned officials and new spectators. We really hope that weightlifting will get major boost from this landmark event held from 14-26 August.

Hooray to Chrissy Wellington as she gets her fifth sub-9 hour Ironman win, and earns an MBE and an interview with BBC Sports.

No comments: