Friday, July 2, 2010

Strategic Planning

It has been a hectic fortnight, with my classroom training stretching through to the weekend. The Countdown to the Singapore 2010 Youth Olympic Games has reached anticipatory level. Let’s hope the days leading to the Torch Relay will rouse up more enthusiasm and incite the Spirit of the Games. I may be involved in the symbolic run with the Olympic Flame – I will keep you posted if I will be running the short, but significant, non-competitive leg.

I have signed up a few A-races already: a cycling tour, 10km run, half-marathon, Berlin Marathon and one Ironman triathlon. I am hopeful my body will hold, and my fitness will improve.

Meanwhile, I am also working on my strategies for my business. I am doing a massive re-think, re-view and reflection on my potential. I will engage some degree of business re-invention, rebranding and repositioning. Marketing and sales will be my major thrusts for the rest of this year. In many ways, this process is analogous to deciding on, and preparing intensively for an Ironman triathlon. My long runs ensure my mind is empty enough to accommodate inspiration from nature. I have enjoyed several great ideas in my relatively silent excursions, dreaming up business proposals and considering possibilities. Exercise seems to give me a fair degree of clarity, removing clouds of doubt, anxiety and worry.

I have been fortunate that quite a few business referrals have been directed my way recently, fast and furiously. It is funny how when you least expect it, opportunity knocks urgently on your door. Perhaps, it is the Law of Attraction in operation, working its magic unconsciously. Be careful and clear what you wish for! I need to respond quickly before I lose any of these precious opportunities.

My legs are recovering, as I am experiencing an annoying spate of sloth-like slowness in my running. I suspect that it is a systemic case of I have to be slow before I can get faster. My soles and joints were hurting until this week, and with a committed program of additional sleep, I should earn some new speed. I have a 21km race next weekend, and I would appreciate an equivalent PB. According to Runner’s World magazine, I have an outside chance of breaking the 3:30 marathon mark at this point.

I have started swimming again, and it seems my facial fracture has healed completely – no issues with sinus infection. I hope to intensify my swim diet soon, and expect it to have a secondary effect on my riding and run fitness.

Days of decisions and dreams ahead!

No comments: