Friday, March 5, 2010

T'was the Day Before Ironman NZ...

I have just sent my bike in into the T1 area, racked it up, and submitted my two race bags for overnight keeping. I will do a final bike check tomorrow morning, and duct-tape stick a bunch of gel packets on my bike stem. I have to trust this four-year-old aluminium/carbon stead will hold me up for the two loops. My bike is safe, but I read that Craig 'Crowie' Alexander's bikes were stolen. I hope that he recovers them soon, with his $1,000 reward as a sweetener My beat-up bike should not be a temptation to bike aficonados.

The last few blogs I posted included many sentences beginning with the pronoun 'I' and it bothers me slightly. Trust me, I am still optimistic about capturing my interview with Mitch Thrower, that serial entrepreneur and philanthropist - I assure you, the wait will be worth it.

I had a chat with Jeffrey Foo of Hi-Velocity this afternoon. Two weekends from now, we will enjoy the fourth Singapore edition of Ironman 70.3. I'll be giving this race a pass, as I am still recovering from a painful and crippling crash a few weeks ago. Deca-Ironman Dr Kua Harn Wei confided in me that an NUS colleague of his had a bike crash last week, and one of the riders broke his collarbone! Please ride safely, fellow riders! Harn Wei is still healing from such an accident, with a broken collarbone and fractured ribs. Ouch!

My house-mate, Paul McGlynn (#1136) and I drove up the bike course just now. It has a few climbs, and the initial climb will take a bit of work before we cruise along rolling roads. The word is 20-25km/h winds, with temperature of 9-21 degree Celcius. Lake temperature 19 degrees Celcius. Wetsuit is a definite go, unless you are a loony. My major triathlon influence, Craig Holland has been breaking in a new BlueSeventy wetsuit over the last two days. He is a very strong swimmer who is doing his fifth Ironman after Kona 2005.

Tonight is about staying centred and calm. Dinner will be small, and attempts to clear the body system is a must. Lots of electrolytes and sports drinks will be consumed tonight. Sleep will be adequate but interrupted. Waking up to pee, is compulsory whether I like it or not.

My prediction for tomorrow is simple: Bitter cold, hot, wet, pain and discomfort before I get a feel of my warm medal and warmer t-shirt. Thank you, supporters for staying tuned in! I hope to post happy news.

1 comment:

Lim Leong, Reeves said...

Well done bro. 9th one in the bag. Its finished business at last for you in NZ. Bravo. See you back in Sg soon. Lamb rack and good wine beckons.