Sunday, March 7, 2010

Post-Ironman Thoughts

It is an hour before the Ironman Award Dinner, and I may give it the miss. I am struggling to stand up, let alone walk a few metres to the washroom. Thinking back over the plethora of events yesterday, I am somewhat grateful I could race and hobble in my pain and discomfort.

I could have stood by and be an active spectator - don't you worry. Cheering others on, and being their supporter is one of my few strengths. I love celebrating other people's achievements. I have a boxful of medals and portfolio of certificates which are nice and fond reminders, yet I do not allow myself to be stuck with. Move on! As my coach would say.

Yesterday was a day of celebration. In fact, of many celebrations. Let me list them:

1) A contigent of about a dozen Singaporeans and expatriates raced in Ironman New Zealand 2010.
2) I, finally, raced with my coach Craig 'Fox' Holland in an Ironman race and got trounced by him. He did his fifth sub-11 hour race, in his fourth attempt, five years after he retired from his Kona finish in 2005, with 10:38 timing. He seems stoked to do IMWA this year.
3) Our room-mate, Paul McGlynn did 10:42 under challenging conditions, narrowly missing a Kona slot. I trust he will come back stronger at his next attempt at the Big Island.
4) My Singaporean triathlon buddy, David Chamber, scored 11:40 at his second attempt at Ironman. Well done, mate! I meet at 70.3 races and marathons and edge him slightly over the run, but his 4:14 marathon last night establishes his superiority over the distance.
5) To have raced in Taupo, NZ yesterday confirms my belief in my abilities Four weeks after my accident, with stern warnings from my doctors, I raced yesterday and completed it. This was a race that eluded me, and which naysayers called a non-Ironman race inn 2006. In my inaugural Ironman, freak weather caused race officials to cancel the swim, and reduce the 180km and full marathon, into half the distance.
6) I will focus on my weak swim and enhance this Achilles Heel of mine.
7) I will focus on running a splendid Berlin Marathon Race in October.

Thank you, all TriFamers and Facebook friends for your good wishes! I found your pleasant thoughts most comforting in my time of need. My appreciation goes to bloggers Matthew Wong and Reeves Leong for their support in their blogs. Matthew is right in saying that I will be focused on Boston as my target next year. The last two years I completed two Ironman 70.3 World Championships; time to consolidate my plans for the next year.

No comments: