Saturday, March 13, 2010

Keep It Short and Sharp-Witted

Since this is the weekend, we will combine a little English writing lesson with wit and humour.

This is a story of a 16-year-old boy from New Hampshire who won the World's shortest essay competition. He was awarded a scholarship at the University of Harvard for his imagination and humour. Here's an example of absolute brilliance…

An English university creative writing class was asked to write a concise essay containing the following elements:

1) Religion

2) Royalty

3) Sex

4) Mystery

The prizewinner wrote: ‘My God, ‘ said the Queen. ‘I’m pregnant. I wonder who the father is?’

Brilliant fellow, isn’t he? The following was another one I heard from one of my cousins, when I was a teenager. It uses the device called phonetic ambiguity. That is, a word that sounds like another word. Examples include knows/nose, read/red, blue/blew, and hair/hare.

Teacher asks: ‘Form a sentence with the words defence, defeat, and detail.’

Student: ‘When the cow jumps over the fence, the feet comes before the tail!’

No comments: