Friday, August 28, 2009

Moments That Matter

I was at the Las Vegas-McCarran International Airport; it was the day of my departure from a great vacation. The security staff smilingly asks me: Have you watched The Fly?” I replied in the affirmative as he loaded my luggage into the huge X-Ray machine.

“You look like the guy in The Fly!” he said cheerfully. “Do you get that a lot?” He was referring to the tall Jeff Goldblum.

He seemed pleased. So was I. This was a first for me, i.e. Mr Goldblum. I have been told in the past that I resembled some actors. Really. Anyway, since I did not get a troublesome time with my luggage, I flowed along in this interesting conversation.

It was a moment: A moment that meant nothing, or something. I added some value in that person’s life because I reminded him of a celebrity. I am very sure he has met many celebrities (and impersonators) in his profession. Come on – it was Las Vegas.

In the last ten years of my life, I have been told that I am a dead-ringer for celebrities. Those were my moments. These were special moments for me because I meant something to somebody. I love these moments – however strange, surreal or special - and I look forward to more of them.

Consider: How often do we create ‘moments of value’? What can we deliberately do to create a ‘moment’? When was the last time you did something special for a colleague, team-member or family? Create your Kodak Moment.

No comments: