Saturday, August 29, 2009

Creating Luck

Do you believe in luck? Can you create luck?

Luck has been described as ‘when opportunity meets preparation’. The windows of opportunity open when one creates pathways of possibility.

Once, I had a colleague in Production who taught me about luck (after I asked him about his betting habit): ‘Enrico. If you buy the lottery, you have a chance. If you don’t buy, you have no chance!’ That was my tacit knowledge and wisdom rolled into one. Since that fateful day, I occasionally make a few, albeit small bets annually. I would be closer to being a millionaire if I bought a few betting slips, then if I didn’t. It is also my scientific approach to test statistical probability, intuition and the notion of luck.

Applying this theory of luck, I participated in an online quiz a few days ago. As (my) luck would have it, I was informed by e-mail today that I won a pair of tickets to a concert this evening. This is my second time winning concert-tickets within a year. Luck? If I had not decided to participate, my odds would have been zero. Upon signing up, my chances increased. By the way, I have not been successful on a few previous occasions, too. Win some, lose some?

Is luck an important component of leadership? Perhaps, we are lucky when we inherit a team of people who are collaborative, diligent, and determined to perform well. Then again, we cannot leave it to luck by developing the collective value and potential of our team. It is great to feel lucky, however when things smoothly go our way, we can enjoy a sense of luck and fortune. Fortune favours the bold. So, be bold and decide and make things happen.

No comments: