Tuesday, June 16, 2009

When Performance Takes a Dip







Seth Godin wrote in his book, The Dip is really about avoiding temptation and gravity, and becoming the best in the world.

Leaders either quit or continue when they face a dip. It is so easy to quit when you are fatigued, bored, angry, challenged and judged unfairly. It is easy to follow the crowd, or break away from it.

Last Sunday morning, I participated in the Mizuno Mount Faber Run. Hundreds participated, each with their own set of aspirations, dreams and challenges. As it was my first such run, over several hills I was not quite sure what to expect. I was already familiar with the terrain, however my experience was founded on my bicycle. Running on several slopes posed several concerns for me. With my experience to guide me, plus tacit wisdom from other runners I ran this 10km race with hundreds of other runners – in a satisfying time.

The run up the first slope was a major concern of many runners, especially those who were new to this route. Those of us, used to flat roads (status quo), found the change in tangent alarming. Inexperienced and unfit runners made their way to the top of the hill, with surprising fatigue. Some had to walk, or decided to walk. The resilient ones took it one step at a time. Once at the top, some decided to compensate for lost time by sprinting down the hill. There is strong evidence to indicate that running downhill activates muscle soreness. This is because the muscles stretch under tension (eccentric contraction) when working with gravity. I slowed down deliberately, to reduce tension on my leg as runners sprinted down the slope uncontrollably.

I recall my teacher, Gary teaching me the notion of pacing. Leaders know their pace, and they appreciate working with other people’s pacing. On a systems thinking level, slow may be fast; and vice versa.

For those who managed their expectations, they tended to perform well. The dip is where you are most tested, especially at the start of the hill. That bottom is one section, before you will meet another. Breakthroughs are made at the bottom of your patience; the nadir of your expectations. Mediocre performance is seldom noticed, whereas splendid performance engages attention.

Swim, ride or run: Move past your mediocrity. Project towards your future. Aim towards your sense of excellence. Being average is not fulfilling your potential.

Seth’s Dip Manifesto is available from http://changethis.com/34.01.thedip.

How do you manage the Dip? Some of the manifesto’s ideas include:

1) Blog everyday, for three years, until your blog is #1 in its field.

2) Give up your social life for a year until you make editor of the law review.

3) Last six seconds longer on every single exercise in the gym until your abs actually start to grow.

4) Find a dip and embrace it.

5) The harder the dip, the better the chance being the one to get through it.

No comments: