Sunday, June 7, 2009

List-full Thinking

Saturdays and Sundays are good days to genuflect and consider options and dreams. It is also a good time to read, research, exercise and learn. One exercise I do is review my List. The List includes some of the challenges I have set for myself every year, and some for a period of 1-3 years. Plans can change, however, dreams merely get delayed. I still have my first list from 1995. Here is a glimpse of my elaborate list:

1.    Visit all the Ancient Wonders of the World

2.    Visit all the Modern Wonders of the World.

3.    Complete 10 Ironman triathlons by end-2010.

4.    Complete my second book by end-2009.

5.    Get my first book published in 2009.

6.    Start a new business in China.

7.    Earn an honorary PhD.

8.    Initiate a new business process that funds my favourite charities.

9.     Interview 52 people of distinction in one year (for this blog).

10.  Compete in the 70.3 Ironman Triathlon World Championships 2008/2009

You can start on such a list immediately. This list can and should involve your loved ones. Take your journey with others – makes it more meaningful. Once you have achieved one, underline it. Your personal achievements can be shared in your future as fodder for retirement conversations. What’s wrong with reminiscing when it is shared experiences. As Ironman co-founder John Collins said of completing the grueling 226km swim, ride, run course:"Swim 2.4 miles! Bike 112 miles! Run 26.2 miles! Brag for the rest of your life" ‘

Get going on your list. 

No comments: