Thursday, February 24, 2011

The Discipline in Professions and As Professionals

‘A goal is a dream with a dateline.’ ~ Opening announcement for the ING New York City Marathon 2010.

As undisciplined as I consider myself to be (in areas I avoid, like chores), I am a stickler for discipline. Perhaps, it was the decade-and-a-half that I served in the reserves as a military officer, and how I was educated that taught me to appreciate discipline. There is discipline in my professions, and I seriously attempt to apply it into expected results. The discipline is in the doing.

As I had no access to social media tools over the last few days, I wrote my thoughts down in my journal. I then transferred these thoughts into individual blog posts. I felt that it was important to meet my goal of one post a day for next three years. Writing is a discipline. Horror-writer, Stephen King wrote in his book ‘On Writing’ that he isolates himself for three hours a day with a typewriter and no distractions – just to write. Whether he wrote one line or a paragraph or a page, it was considered work done. The only way to be a better write is to write. The discipline is in the writing.

I embrace endurance sports as a lifestyle because I get to express a core value called discipline. Without discipline, chaos and confusion can emerge. Last Sunday, I learnt more about discipline when I applied it diligently and earned delightful results in a marathon race. Next week, you may get to appreciate more about discipline through our interview with endurance athlete and coach, Wilson Low. The discipline is in the racing.

I returned this afternoon to find a copy of Guy Kawasaki’s new book Enchantment sent by courier for my review. I will post my review of this new business leadership book on 8 March, so stay tuned.

If you like a book to be reviewed, please send me a note for the mailing address. If you are keen to be a book reviewer, or wish to make submission write me direct. I will be pleased to showcase your opinion. The discipline is in taking the first steps.

Time for me to do some compulsory washing and cleaning…

No comments: