Friday, January 28, 2011

Timeout: The Pause That Refreshes

It is nice to take time out to chill. The hustle and bustle of everyday, mundane, work-driven life can be quite a burden on our sense of self. The occasional break, whether deliberate or random, can provide relief to our sense of direction and bearing.


Tonight, my team of endurance sports friends gathered for drinks and food. We exchanged war stories, and traded moments of humour. It makes what we have worked on more meaningful. Beyond the training and strenuous work, is a pot of pleasurable and productive conversations. 


Tomorrow, we head out for our open-water swim. Our fearless leader, Matt will be headed for Bali for a week of well-deserved rest with his wife. The usual gang of suspects are quite motivated, so the team looks intact, with new faces joining us at almost every session. I believe that the group is self-motivated and will sustain in numbers until the end of the Singapore Biathlon. Then, we will assess if the team was truly born out of interest or of desperation. It does not really matter, as there are enough races to keep us focused on developing our personal capability. I would fully appreciate the integrity and intent of the team.
I had my bike fit this afternoon with Master Bike Fitter and Elite Bicycles founder, David Greenfield. I am appreciative of the company's sense of delivery, where they actively follow up on my progress and riding comfort. I had some significant adjustments to my aero-bars, but beyond that I was reassured that my bike measurements were consistent, and that my core strength was enhanced. David has his subtle way of, elusively, taking other peripheral measurements. I believe that he and his colleagues are seriously passionate about the quality of their work, and demonstrate values that will see them through to a successful business future.


Next week, we will hear read about shocking news concerning celebrity sportspeople. It make shake your confidence about the revelations of foul and unfair practice. Anyway, one thing at a time. Enjoy your weekend! I am looking forward to my Desaru long ride, and  quality family time. Thank your for reading, Readers! I am deeply touched by your support of this blog. Live long and prosper!


Photo-caption: Sentosa Swim Team (Karolina, Richard, Enrico, Desmond and Vijay) with Elite Bicycles co-director Adeline Khoo and David Greenfield (4th and 5th from left) at an open-house talk session.

No comments: