Monday, January 24, 2011

The Day After the Race

About 310 participants took part in the fifth edition of SAFRA AVventura yesterday morning, the largest x-terrain adventure race in Singapore. The Singapore Duathlon was also held that morning at the East Coast.

Two of the Ultra categories were won by familiar faces from the Adventure In Motion teams. They bagged top placing in the Men’s Open and Mixed Open categories in the past two years. While Alvin Lim Sing Hock, 40, and Yeo Kim Hong, 39, took the top spot in the Ultra Men’s category with a timing of 3 hours 52 minutes 43 seconds this year, Wilson Low and Chang Ee Pin took first place in the Ultra Mixed category with a timing of 4 hours 31 minutes 42 seconds. Congratulations, Wilson for your achievement! Wilson is a endurance coach who has competed and finished well in both the Ironman World Championships (Kona) and Ironman 70.3 World Championships (Clearwater).

I woke up to reasonably mobile legs, although somewhat tired. The residual adrenaline in my body may have caused my disturbed sleep pattern. Tonight’s swim session, as I anticipated, was physically demanding for me. Coach Dion prescribed us swim drills, and a 1,500m time trial that I fluffed due to residual fatigue. I suspected my body was still depleted from yesterday’s trial-by-heat, run-ride-run. Some of us stayed back after the session and benefitted from swim correction feedback: mine was irregular kicking, and too low from the surface. With the 3-beat kick suggestion by Coach and follow-up feedback, I was eager to get a feed thereafter. The duathlon results should be out tomorrow, and I hope I placed high enough. I received nice race photos from photographer friends, and am grateful for their attention.

No comments: