Monday, June 14, 2010

Running Freely and Free From Running

My result for the Mizuno Mount Faber 10km Run yesterday was 49:04 for the 10km. I think I placed in the top-3 percent of the 2,900-strong field of runners with my 67th position. This was my first race two week since my ultra attempt, so my recovery has been on-track.

What was different about this year’s race? I attacked it harder physically, engaging my sense of competition. However, I ran with more joy and a sense of freedom. I pumped my arms, swung it more and allowed physics to lead me. I embraced the race with a ‘so what’s the worst that could happen?’ attitude. I think it worked as I mounted Singapore’s second highest hill less distraught than last year’s. My friend ‘Muay Thai’ said that some of his friends saw me blast off at the 4km; I wanted to experience running with the elite age-groupers, and it was tough keeping up. My 46-year-old friend Melvin Ow saw a podium finish, and I congratulate him for his excellent effort.

It may be premature to say this, but I think I am on track with my three-month plan for a sub-3’20” timing in Berlin, and also for a PB in my next Ironman triathlon. Patience is a value worth considering, as it is all a waiting game. I took my post-race meal of electrolyte drinks and a potassium-filled banana, enjoyed my chat with some runners who were from my graduating class of young officers. It was a joyful morning of connecting with people, my body and my sense of child-like abandonment. I freed myself from the vestiges of self-imposed running, and chose to run freely with few attachments. I breathed as deeply as I could, taking each thankful breath with appreciation and respect for nature.

Last night, I was on the panel of judges at the Singapore Magic Circle’s (SMC) annual magic competition, Legerdemain (French for sleight of hand). Five contestants each vied for a top-three placing in the Parlour and Close-Up categories. It was tough judging the group, especially the one’s doing intimate magic with cards and coins. I was also given the honour to present magic wands to the top-three winners of the Close-Up category, a branch of magic that I have a soft spot for. It was an evening well spent with fellow magicians (including professional illusionists Nique Tan and Jeremy Pei) and magic fans. Just another moment worth reflecting on…

No comments: