Thursday, June 24, 2010

10 Things I Learnt in My Run Up to the Real Race

Racing keeps us sharp – mentally and physically. Training hard can be challenging if you do not have an upcoming race; it is the impetus and motivation for having more focus and doing more. We train hard and work harder so that we do not become soft or sloth-like. These strategically-placed races are intended to be my measurements of my progress. My upcoming races in the next three months will be:

Tri-Factor Run 21km 11 July 2010 (21km)
Yellow Ribbon Project Run 5 September 2010 (10km)
Singapore Bay Run 12 September 2010 (21km)
REAL Berlin Marathon 26 September 2010* (Boston qualifier)
Ironman Western Australia (5 December 2010)


My key indicators so far has been:

Passion Run 25km Men’s Solo (22 May 2010): 56th out of 2410 = top-2%, 5th in my age group
Sundown Ultra-Marathon 84km (29 May 2010): 49th out of 600 (top-12%); 3rd in age group; 13th overall Veteran Men’s Open
Mizuno Mount Faber Run Men’s Open June 2010 (13 June 2010): 67th overall


What did I learn so far from my strategically positioned races?
1)    Take the start point with the elite runners (so I do not have to be blocked by less ambitious runners)
2)    Ensure proper rest and recuperation (recovery)
3)    Be mindful of changes in running posture, potential injuries and weak muscle groups
4)    Have at least 8 hours of sleep a night when I am training and racing hard
5)    Build my speed alongside my endurance maintenance
6)    Nutritional assistance for races longer than 10km is necessary
7)    Speed training and threshold-level training is necessary for running faster and holding the race pace
8)    My commitment to a 3-month cycle before the next A-marathon begins now
9)    Review my plan for a sub-3 hour 20 minute marathon finish in a cooler racing climate
10) Enjoy the process, and celebrate the small wins (personal best timings)
Photographs of adidas Sundown Marathon: from Marathon Photos.

No comments: