Monday, June 7, 2010

A Day Without Internet Access

How dependent are you on the Internet? Does  a day go by when you are comfortable without accessing e-mail or surfing the Net? Does your life come to a grinding halt when your Internet service provider faces a crisis?


Yesterday, my Internet service provider crashed and I could not access my business e-mail and post my blog. It was a peculiar day, but not unbearably difficult to pass. It was a day to take charge of myself and question my dependency on technology. Surely it was an inconvenience, but life goes on - at least, the next day I would have found other options.


Technology should be a mask or shield for us. In fact, we should block ourselves away from the digital technology and social media tools that has come to dominate our lives if we are not careful. Enjoy its availability but do not let yourself be run or ruined by it. Remain high-tech, but high touch!


Here is a photography I took at a factory that manufactured replicas of the Terra Cotta Soldiers. The headless statue I hid behind was made of clay, as was the original terra cotta army centuries ago. With my spectacles on, I could have been an advisor, or strategist. I could have developed my leadership skills very differently then!

No comments: