Monday, June 28, 2010

Rainy Sundays and Memorable Mondays

The Carpenters’ song never goes out of date. Shall we say that it is ‘timeless’?


Yesterday, my training plans were disrupted by a lack of sleep and heavy rain. I had to jettison my ride as I decided that it was unsafe. I missed my ride and my attempts to watch the Triathlon Family Sprint yesterday. It is our annual club affair that seems to attract the best of the shorter-distance triathletes. Sadly, I missed out on the action.

Having become more intuitive with my training, I know more now when my body needs more sleep. The additional hours in my sleep diet has expressed itself with a healthy weight gain, more muscle tone, a stronger core and more energy. My dietary supplementation of beta-carotene, L-glutamine, and more vegetables (red, green and yellow), and the Placebo Effect seems to be yielding positive results. Some endurance athletes are struggling with losing weight although I do not think it should be a battle. As long as we work within the energy expenditure equation, we should weigh as much as we should, due to our exercise-calories-sleep investment.

Mondays: what does today conjure for you? Traditionally, Mondays are coloured blue or black, like some sort of bruise or contusion. I like to christen today as Memorable Mondays as I get to rewind the events of the week, and focus on its highlights.

Congratulations, Tobias Frenz on his spectacular 3:09 Kuala Lumpur Marathon yesterday! He placed fourth in his category. Despite being retired from triathlons, he has amazing residual fitness and has evolved into a long-distance swimmer including free diving. According to unofficial measures, Singapore’s top national triathlete Mok Ying Ren may have placed second overall in the half-marathon category. We are proud of his achievements!

I am stoked from their achievements. I am looking forward to my half-marathon on 11 July; keeping my fingers crossed for a strategically-clever race.

No comments: