Friday, January 22, 2010

Reframing: Sleight of Mind

Reframing is a technique in Neurolinguistic Programming (NLP) that focuses on changing the way we think, by changing our language. It is about being optimistic, by shifting our focus from predictable to relevant, meaningful and useful. Reframing gives us new points of references that we can anchor onto, with different boundaries, that allow us to be open-minded to possibilities .

We can change the content, or context of our language.

For example, we can reframe customer into: paymaster, shareholder, supporters, tribes, loyal followers, and reason for our business.

For example, ‘Our customer is unreasonable!’ can be reframed as ‘Our customer gives useful feedback’, ‘We have a open relationship with our clients’, ‘Our customer continually challenges us to do better!’ or ‘Our customer has high standards of professionalism.’

Reframing can be used to validate our realities. Our sense of reality needs to be referenced both internally and externally.

Speaking during the presidential debate with Walter Mondale, Ronald Reagan said, 'I will not make age an issue of this campaign. I am not going to exploit, for political purposes, my opponent's youth and inexperience.' Reagan’s age was not an issue for the remainder of the campaign!

A young worker of IBM had made a mistake that lost the company $1 million in business. She was called in to the President’s office (Thomas Watson, Sr.) and as she walked in said, 'Well, I guess you have called me here to fire me.' 'Fire you?' Mr. Watson replied, 'I just spent $1,000,000 on your education!'

‘I get annoyed when my boss looks over my shoulder while I am working.’ Can reframed to a more useful perception of your reality: 'Is it possible he wants to help, yet does not know how to offer his assistance in any other way?'

Resolutions can be enhanced for their success by reframing it into a future-orientated vision. ‘Imagine what I would look like 5 kilogrammes lighter and fitter?' ‘When I lose all my excess body fat, I will feel more energetic and enthusiastic about movement.’ ‘When I complete my education, I will enjoy higher self-esteem, confidence and be more knowledgeable about an area of my expertise.’

My teacher, Gary challenged me to consider somebody I disliked and ask this question: ‘What can I learn from somebody I dislike?’ This shifts our perspective to something more purposeful instead of limiting our mindset and behaviors.

Change your perceptions and behaviors for the better through reframing.

For more about reframing and reality checks, read: Roger Ellerton, PhD. Live Your Dreams – Let Reality Catch Up.

No comments: