Thursday, January 7, 2010

Conversations over Coffee

‘Let’s have coffee!’ The sound of word-associated, nectar to my ears!

In 2002, I travelled from Singapore to Kuala Lumpur to Penang to conduct sales training for food and beverage (F&B) staff of the Shangri-La hotel group. It was a delightful experience, which was part of my assignment with a major coffee-supplier. Next to working with a beer brewery, coffee was my other beverage of choice and one of my indulgences.

I admit that I tend to go to three places for coffee: Starbucks, Yakun and the local coffee shops. There are certainly differences in tastes of the coffee; the ambience and environment are different; so, is the range in prices: From eighty cents to $1.30 to $5.80 (in Singapore dollars). The relevance of these places for me: I can curl up with a book and cover a few pages as my coffee cools; or, free-associate ideas and write it in my business diary; I may, surreptitiously, squat a little longer at the more premium-priced, ‘angelic’ place.

Caffeinated coffee, versus the pale leached version, stimulates the brain. It is a stimulant, and enhances alertness, enervates and energises you. Kaldi, the famous goat-header who, apparently, discovered the coffee bean after his hyperactive goats annoyingly bleated the whole night – took to an affinity for the bean, after he figured out how to make the bile-tasting drink more palatable. The secret to coffee’s multitude of flavours and texture, was in its roasting.

I enjoy watching coffee-baristas preparing my brew. Isn’t it interesting that we can brew tea, coffee and beer? Do you believe in coincidences? So do I! What a coincidence!

I love to observe the barista prepare my coffee. With the commercial chain of coffee cafes, brewing coffee can be almost an exact science. You see them stick thermometers into your brew, whip up a foaming frenzy with your cappuccino, and then pour it with care into your cup. Before my meeting with clients on Monday, I bought myself a mocha espresso drink. I learnt that Starbucks uses 60-percent, post-consumer fibre for its patented cup-holders.

A wonderful accompaniment to good coffee is good company. I take a good conversation over coffee any day, without reservation; however, coffee helps lubricate my brain and palate as it is almost a ritual, or near-iconic status. Somehow (and I gather this from a biased population of coffee-drinkers), it is believed that ‘Let’s have coffee!’ sounds distinctly more masculine, and testosterone-infused. I don’t know about that - but, I have my suspicions.

The down-side of caffeine-allergy, or its inherent properties are diuresis (loss of water from your kidneys), hyperactivity, risk of dehydration and increased heart rate. The up-side of caffeine include mental stimulation, alertness, and a useful aid for endurance sports. Perhaps, that is why people get animated and alive when chatting over coffee. Caffeine is now legalized in the sporting community, and can be found in sports-gels and drinks, however within limits.

I can go on with the philosophy, psychological and physiological responses of coffee, and coffee drinking; however, we will keep it for future conversations. When did you last have coffee? Invite a friend for coffee and enjoy the their company.

No comments: