Sunday, July 5, 2009

Pre-Race Anxiety

Anxiety may be a double-edge sword. Being anxious can be debilitating to your well-being if you allow it to. Otherwise, when you harnass your anxiety in useful and purposeful way, you can enjoy insight and confidence.

It is 10 hours before the canon goes off for Ironman Austria. I will be resting soon; although I can expect a few weird dreams, and the occasional call of nature. I recall my coach saying: hydrate, hydrate and hydrate!

By refocusing our vision and energies during times of stress and anxiety, one can lessen the severity of one's muddled physiology. Our body and brain are remarkable in making sense of things - given time. Anxiety makes us alert, so we stay aware and observant of our surroundings. In a race situation, this assault of emotions can keep us safe. Instinct and intuition can be sharpened when we are atuned to our surroundings. We just need to, constantly, keep our emotions in check.

I am looking forward to the Ironman race. Anxiety can be mixed into a cocktail of hopefulness, curiosity and sense of adventure. I hope and trust that Team Triathlon Family races safely and well. I believe that our collective anxiety will be the cornerstone of our team spirit. Participants - lead on!

1 comment:

Matty Wong said...

Good work in Austria.

I hate the butterflies in the stomach feeling before the race. But i like racing, so i make do with the weird feeling and focus the energy onto following my race strategies.

Anxiety is good in my opinion, it keeps me on my toes so that i will not go headless in race preparation.