Wednesday, October 2, 2013

I Have Little Physical Talent, But I Work Hard

'People who think that an IRONMAN is unattainable – I tell them that it is possible. I can take anyone – a person that does not have an athletic bone in their body and make them into a triathlete if they’re willing to put in the time. I’m the perfect example. I am not a great athlete, just a hard worker.'
- John Duke, IRONMAN Legend (from www.ironmalive.com)

I hate to swim. I hate to ride. I hate to run. 

Well, not exactly true about riding. I do have difficulty swimming, and running hurts my entire body. Why do I do it then?

I love challenges - physical and intellectual. Not that I have tested myself with Mensa, but I have scored reasonably well in IQ tests. Formulaic, I assure you. I am stoked with being better. I yearn to be my best. Endurance sports bring out the true test of many personal values like tenacity, determination, persistence, patience, endurance, perseverance, excellence and many more. I do Ironman for the discipline. I appreciate discipline, having tasted that as a student, a member of the uniformed groups, and now in competitive sports. The ability to perform better at the next sporting event motivates me. I am curious about my potential. I relish excellence, and excelling in my endeavours and undertakings.

I am a FAN of the Kona Ironman. I am a FIRST-TIMER at Kona. I aim to be a FINISHER in Kona. Next week is crunch-time. I will be taking my pensive but calculated steps to Kailua-Kona, home of the Ironman World Championships. I am grateful for earning the opportunity to compete and complete Ironman on the Big Island. There is so much history to this event and the island. I can only visualise as I have for the last thirty years, of what it would seem, sound and feel in this event.

I thank many people for helping me through this major challenge. My 16th Ironman has been memorable and motivating by my coaches, sponsors, friends and supporters. Meanwhile, I will am packing, fine-tuning, and tapering. 10 days more to the Big Dance!


No comments: