1) There are two ways to attack the excess fat (not bodyweight) issue. Muscles weigh more than fat, and are denser in structure. The strategy is to build/maintain muscle while losing fat. Most faddish diets tend to end up with loss of BOTH muscle/lean tissue (bone/connective tissues) and fat.
2) Nutrition + Exercise = Body composition.
3) You can increase lean muscle and lose fat = same weight.
4) You can increase aerobic activity (continuous, activity, done at Zone 1-3) for at least 30-60 minutes per session. Aim for heart rate of 50-60 percent of Maximum Heart Rate/MHR (220-Age). As you get fitter, work to not more than 70 percent of MHR.
5) More exercise sessions = more calories burnt.
6) More muscles/lean tissue = more calories consumed at rest (called Metabolism).
7) Aim to work at least 5 sessions per week (30-60 minutes of activity such as fast walking, jogging, swimming, cycling).
8) The key to successful fat loss is consistency and continuity.
9) Rest is important. Sleep at least 7.5/9 hours a night when you are exercising regularly. Thankfully you should sleep naturally and well.
10) I recommend 2 days on/1 day off, or 3 days on/1 day rest.