Saturday, May 2, 2009

The Notion of Endurance


I rode 80km today - my first, medium distance ride since my last race. It is fascinating how our physiology changes when we exercise: we become alert, random thoughts get into focus, and we become more aware of our surroundings. We have to, as cyclists are not too popular on the road.

The sport of triathlon is based a lot on physical and mental endurance. Thus, one value I think a lot about is Endurance. Endurance is defined as the ability to withstand hardship or pain, and to tolerate strain and continue on. Having completed an Ironman triathlon exactly two weeks ago,  I recall I experienced it with quite a few athletes on that challenging day.

Endurance, according to research by Gary Yardley & PIPS Pty Ltd, is delivered through the sharing of the other values of Loyalty and Patience. It is one of 56 values identified for companies and leaders in the Values Grid which Yardley, Kelly and his associates extracted from 1,000 web-sites and over-2000, company profiles, interviews and leadership literature. 

How can we share the behaviors of endurance? Many organisations have found difficulty translating core values into actual behaviors. However, they should continue to find ways to express these values - by never giving up

When I was doing Ironman China 2009, Singaporean participant Teo Ser Luck demonstrated endurance very well. He raced very well, and ahead of me. I heard that he was checking my progress from our supporters, and he actually slowed down to wait for me. When I saw him at the turnaround-points, he actually encouraged me to open my stride. I was appreciative that he welcomed me at the end-point. He raced good, but he led better. 

Throughout the trilogy of events, I witnessed many participants brave their fatigue during the tough river-swim, rolling bike course, grueling marathon and suffering heat. Many were determined to finish, even though they were walking - and there was no shame in walking. I walked through my drink-points. I had my share of 'dead zones' where the battle of mind and body take place. Endurance means you must know when to drop out, if you have to. I saw my friend, Clifford at the 30km mark of the bike course. He told me that he was struggling with acute knee pains; I suggested that he stop if he felt that it was too risky. He did, yet returned to cheer us on at the end-point. By the way, supporters (I prefer to call them, Iron-Mates) do engage their endurance to egg the participants along. They endure similar conditions of heat, humidity, hunger and frustration as their partners. 

So, in the larger perspective we can think about seriously is, how can we activate our endurance as professionals? Our sense of endurance will include:

- Our word and honour
- Resolve and perseverance
- Patience and balance

Nelson Mandela summed it up very well: 'After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb.'

Illustration of rider by Tan Boon Fong

3 comments:

Matty Wong said...

Endurance is turning off the pain recepticles during racing.

Congrats on joining me in threupractic writting...

Enrico Varella said...

Thanks for posting, Matty.

It is in my blood, so to speak, after years of writing plays, copywriting and journalism. I like the idea of writing and reporting, real-time. Before your insights, epiphanies and foresight vanish, you get to capture these on a blog.

You must teach us how you turn off your pain receptors. What is your process?

Anonymous said...

Amongst writers, I feel small. But I have to leave a comment as it moved me. Enrico, you are a worthy competitor, friend and teammate. You have made my Ironman journey that much more worthwhile. Let's travel in this Ironman journey together for as long as we could.