Sunday, September 4, 2011

Embrace the Suck!

The above mantra came from Chris ‘Macca’ McCormack, world champion in the triathlon (2007/2010) in his first book. This morning, I thoroughly appreciated the meaning of ‘Embrace the Suck’.

This morning, after getting a lift from my ever-generous swim-buddy, Desmond I lined up early on the Esplanade Bridge – to jockey a good start position. I found Muscle Poon and Brian, who kept me company for the first-half of the Singapore Bay Run/Army Half-Marathon. The air was thick was excitement, anxiety and nervousness – I empathised with my fellow runners, as my heart rate started to rise, just before the flag-off at 5.15am.

The morning was humid, made more stifling with the close proximity of runners. After going fast and furious for about 10K (and securing a PB), I felt my speed fading. I had to do some form of damage control, so I drank more fluids, chaffed down a packet of High-5 gel, and paced myself slower than the first-half. I seemed to hit a ‘second wind’ in two gulps, which took advantage of. The more patient runners overtook me; payback can be a pain! The Fort Canning Hill climb was a good way to increase my pace and lead over those around me, so I captured that. Self-doubt and worry started to whisper to me like a schizophrenic's busy mind; I had to refocus despite the physical discomfort, and mental distractions. It was getting hard to stick to a 4:30 pace, so I ran intuitively opting not to glance at my Garmin watch. I was pleased to see my time under the finisher’s archway read 1:33:03 (34th out of Masters, 4:26/K pace, and top-2 percent overall). It was a very good morning, despite three hours sleep, and sustaining a testosterone high after watching last night’s Mixed Martial Arts competition at the Indoor Stadium.
Was it an easy race? No. It was not easy for a neophyte or a veteran. How much you put into it, and want to get out of it will add to the discomfort/pain factor. When it feels hard, it probably is, or it could be a passing phase. We do get down at times, so we rise up, stand up straight, look forward and take another step forward. The ‘suck’ as Macca describes it is the moment when it hurts, and things may go awry. So, you suck it in, embrace it, and go with it. It is akin to boxers rolling with the punches. Insist, resist or persist. You may draw much from taking on the challenges that are flung your way.

I am grateful for the grand company at the end-point, seeing many happy faces, especially those who earned new personal best timings. Sanae took a photograph of Vijay and I, probably the only photographic evidence of my participation today. ‘Run Couple’ Rachel and Poon Zhi Li were interviewed on ‘live radio’; both did sub-1:30 times, and Zhi Li did it on Vibrams Five Fingers. Minimalist shoes were on active duty this morning, including an overseas runner who ran on taped toes.

I was also pleased to find out that I have, finally, improve my performance to be on par with my personal ‘icons’ in endurance sports: Victor Chan, David Tay, Mika Kume, Melvin How, Lieu Yee Leong, Freddy Yeoh and Ironman Poon. They have been instrumental in shaping my racing development over the years because of their positive attitude to sports and life.

After posting on Facebook my preliminary results, the comments came in rapidly for which I was stoked by. I have enjoyed a spate of PBs in local races, as well as overseas marathons this year. After a disastrous year in Ironman racing last year, I think I may have found some comfort with my new knowledge, skills and applied experience in racing.

Observations & Affirmations: 
1)    Mok Yin Ren and I were suffering from plantar fasciitis, and we swapped note about treating it. The final-year medical student and SEA Games qualifier finished first this morning in a time of 1:11.
2)    I met PB earners who shared a similar philosophy of ‘less is more’, and ‘train less, run faster’ PROVIDED the aerobic base is strong, training is consistent and you are well rested.
3)    Extra bodyweight (including muscle) can restrict your running speed.
4)    Minimalist shoes can still spell good timings however if you want to do very well, race in minimalist shoes/racing shoes. Barefoot racing can be a disadvantage.

This evening, I will meet Nate Carlson and the military team from Hawaii that did well this morning.

Have a good weekend!

Tomorrow: My collective approach to running less, safely and faster.
Photo-credit: Key Power International

2 comments:

Kevin Siah said...

Great timing, Enrico! Like 2 in 1 shampoo lah, PBs for both 10km and 21.1km in one race!

Enrico Varella said...

Thanks for the clever analogy, Kev! I had a good day, yet a tough race. I am optimistic for a better BQ. I appreciate the encouragement, mate. I hope for a 3-in-1 in triathlon: be a Triple Threat in all three disciplines - now, that would be awesome, wouldn't it?