Monday, September 12, 2011

2XU Inaugural Mega-Triathlon 2011

Sunday, 11 September, 7.00am, at Changi Beach.
Mika receives her award from Kua Harn Wei.
Congratulations to the participants of Ironman Western Australia: Desmond Chow, Leow Jo Lene and Ng Lap Huan for completing their first long-course triathlon. Congratulations to Victor Chan, Mika Kume, Andy Foo and Ling Er for their podium places at the same event! It was a splendid turnout of swimmers from our Monday session as well as Saturday Lagoon swim.
Victor with his age-group win.
I conclude from my ‘7-hour training session’, that I am not Ironman triathlon fit – at this point in time. To do well at Ironman New Zealand in March 2012, I will need to do the following:

1)    Ride with more cadence, with emphasis on power (hills and speed work). I have a Desaru long-ride in a fortnight’s time to kick-start then process.
2)    Swim more with focus on fitness, swim-sets and drafting (my flotation has improved; I learnt how to breathe effectively thanks to Bernard Maughan). I will commit to the swim sessions on Monday and lagoon open-water session on Saturday.
3)    More run offs the bike, i.e. do ride-run bricks.
4)    Review my nutrition in the run segment. Maltodextrin is hard to digest quickly during this strenuous leg, so may opt for simple sugars instead.

I am spent after the almost seven hours of continuous activity. Here are highlights of the spectacular day, fraught by some rain (during the ride), headwinds, and depressing high humidity. From the race organization view, there was no major hiccup that affected me. The bike check-in took place in the early-morning, so there was no concern about stolen bikes. The passage of entry to the transition area was smooth and absent of drama. There was adequate space between one bike and another. Deca-Ironman, Kua Harn Wei had a consultative hand in the organizing of this race. He was nice to write these words on my race-rack sticker: ‘Go Enrico.’ How thoughtful.
The volunteers were certainly helpful and hospitable, offering us adequate nutritional support (Pocari, bananas, gels, and cold water). The large chests of ice-cubes and cold water were well received by the runners, I am sure. We just needed to soak the sponges and stick it into our race-top, to enjoy the cold water.
It is time for me to recuperate from my post-race Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness (DOMS). I have the 10K Yellow Ribbon Run on Sunday before TNF100 race (the pile of bananas reminded me of my future task). Hopefully, I have enough in my tank for a not-so-slippery, sub-44:00 PB.

I had a smooth swim, cleverly sitting on some swimmer’s hips and feet. I felt as if I was wearing a wetsuit. What was different was my proper application of full exhalation – to clear carbon dioxide build-up – thanks Bernard Maughan for your pre-race tip!
Not having enough power and speed work cost me valuable time as I rode intuitively. Thankfully my ride was comfortable with my well-fitted bike; I was still on my compact crank (evidence of my completion of Ironman Lanzarote in May). I did not rely on my watch and went with the race-day flow. No mechanical issues except for the incessant rattling with my aero-bottle (whilst on the speed strips) secured weakly with cable-tie. Note to self: get it down with Velcro.
Training buddies, Andy and Desmond (1124) stick together with the glue of commitment and optimism. Andy (in runner's gear) paced Desmond for at least 14K, after his fast swim leg in his team relay; his team won runner-up.
My run was somewhat harsh for the first lap as I had to search for my 'legs', however I was fortunate to gain my second and third wind with the remaining two laps. I did run an extra small loop due to my ignorance. As such, I had to make a concerted effort to persistently pursue those ahead of me - I was running 'blind', paying no heed to my watch, focused on my breathing and pace.
Two of my inspirations in endurance sports: Mika Kume and Victor Chan posed with me (minutes before they accepted their awards); I am hugely pleased for them.
My TNF100 Duo buddy Teo Hui Koon who had a perfect day. His posture exuded confidence and joy.
In the spirit of endurance sports, we are united.
Thank you for the numerous photographs from: Richard Leong, Le Giang, Vijch V K and Phoon Tuck Seng.

All photo-credits belong exclusively to the photographers.

3 comments:

Parthiban said...

You inspire me - from a magician to a juggler to a motivation speaker to a Ironman .....who are you behind the mask.....a ordinary man doing extraordinary things.

Keep smiling!!!

Enrico Varella said...

Thanks for yours, Parthiban. I appreciate your encouraging words. Just keep doing what you enjoy most. Cheers.

sabina moon said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.