Friday, March 18, 2011

My 20 Pre-Race Preparation Tips For Singapore 70.3

It is two days from the fifth edition of the Half-Ironman in Singapore, and here are my pre-race tactics that are designed to enhanced my racing focus, and reduce my confusion and anxiety.

1)    Lay out exactly the race-day stuff you will need.
2)    Eliminate unnecessary weight (equipment).
3)    Load all my energy gels (High5 Energy Gels and Energy Source 2:1) into two fuel-bottles (one each for bike, and one gel bottle for run).
4)    Eliminate unnecessary stuff on the bike/body (except watch, race-ID band).
5)    Use elastic laces or lace-locks (reduce chance of dangling shoelaces and affected rhythm and pace).
6)    Put your bike shoes on your pedals, and keep them horizontal with rubber bands. Practise mounting/dismounting and slipping the shoes on/off before the race – not that difficult.
7)    Use your regular sports-drinks (one prepared bottle on your bike), and one empty cage for disposable bottle. A drop-bottle between your aero-bars may be convenient for constantly having your drink.
8)    Stick fuel-bottle into running shoe, so you can retrieve it as you shoe up.
9)    If you think that constitutes extra weight, stick the gel-sachets into your tri-suit pockets. Swallow the gels before you drink at the aid-stations.
10)Final bike check for brake cables, tyre quality, and tightened bottle-cages.
11)Use a running visor, or have a haircut instead. Stay cool.
12) Bring a tyre patch-kit, or inflatable system.
13) Bring spare goggles and racing socks.
14) One large towel to locate your bike, sit down on, as you wipe your feet before wearing your shoes. Grit and debris can cause abrasions.
15) Do one swim in your actual race-gear. Avoid changing tops or tights – wastes time.
16) Fasten your race stickers early onto your bike and helmet.
17) Do one last, easy, wetsuit swim the day before to stay sharp (I did a 30-second ride/run workout 12 hours before the Hong Kong Marathon) or short run/spin. It keeps your muscles activated without exhausting them. Avoid it if you are fatigued.
18) Be up, at least, 2.5 hours before race. Have a light breakfast, black coffee (if you need it), water and one energy gel.
19) Have a mild warm-up before race. Rehearsing your swim strokes in the water certainly helps!
20) No mental pressure on yourself. Pace yourself, smile, feed and hydrate yourself. A PB is a bonus.

I hope that this helps you. Remember to attend the race briefing to have a sense of the route and safety rules (bike-length penalty). For the Ironman 70.3 Singapore edition, we do the following pattern: Swim (2 loops); Ride (3 loops); Run (2 loops)

Racers and supporters - Have a great day out! 
*****
Last night, I did a 11K tempo run of about 4:25 minutes/K. I was pleased I finished relatively fresh, without the telltale laboured breathing I am used to when my body shifts to anaerobic mode. I almost ran into 2005 Hawaii Ironman Triathlon World Champion, Faris Al Sultan near my finish. The crowd was getting thick with pedestrians and picnickers strolling, unaware, on the running path. I recognized Faris from my 2008 Ironman Malaysia on Langkawi Island.

I completed my dual-set with 30 minutes of easy swimming. My coach, Fox sent me a list of things to do before Sunday’s race, mainly on transitions. I wasted too much time in the past on silly, useless, methods. With two more days of rehearsals, I am sure I will reduce some of this down time and enhance my racing experience. Today, I will collect my race-kit at Suntec City, perhaps watch the press conference with the pros, and then follow up with an easy run with Pete Jacobs – Kona’s best marathoner (and one of its best swimmers) last year. I will do a specific run clinic on Monday with Pete; the last session I had with him was about a year back and I focused on forefoot running. It obviously worked as my running improved much over the past year. It should be a fun day.

No comments: