Saturday, September 11, 2010

Quest to Be Best

I remember that ‘Quest to be Best’ was one of my previous company’s core values. I have given this approach/philosophy deep thought over the years. The Quest was a film starring the Muscles from Brussels, Jean-Claude van Demme. An anecdote shared by a hotel executive (I know) who served him years ago during the filming in Thailand, was that JC was fussy about the way his glass noodles was prepared. The supporting martial artists on the set of the film, ate up to one kilogramme of pasta per meal as they were continual rehearsing and training between take.

My friend, Knowledge Management expert Keith De Larue tweeted today ‘A glass of muddy water eventually becomes clear’. Given time, clarity will replace confusion. It is so easy to allow people around us to cloud our judgement, blur our vision and intrude our thoughts. Keeping our personal vision in sharp focus and contrast is a challenging job, yet we need to be mindful and alert most times. So when somebody urges to ‘settle down’, they are reminding us to give it time for us to find our centre, our focus. Sometimes, we have to settle our differences through productive conversations and appreciative inquiry.

Our congratulation goes to Lim Leong for being awarded Community Leader for Southeast CDC by the Mayor last week! He earns the privilege to propose projects for the district. Lim has been leading the innovation in branding movement for a few years – he walks his talk. Read his insightful proposals on his blog.

My friend, Martin Parnell keeps running, five times a week, until he reaches his target of 250 marathons in one year. Yes, he runs a marathon a day on weekdays; he rests only on weekends. He does this purposefully for raising funds for charity. Go on – help him.

Today is Remembrance Day for events leading up from 11 September. Do you recall what you were doing on that eventful and sad day? Perhaps it is opportune to give thanks and appreciation for those around us. Tell somebody close that you love him/her. Recognise them for their performance and efforts.

Tomorrow, at 5.15am I run a 21K with thousands of runners. It is a marquee event that is not to be missed! Two days of rest from the flu I picked up, is frustrating but I believe that the sleep and self-massage and stretching has done me good. Like my client used to say ‘It is what it is!’ I’ll just go forth and run. The results are only part of the outcome. I’m sure I will enjoy the new route and swell company after the sweaty, tough event.

No comments: