Saturday, September 18, 2010

Being on Your Toes

Vibram Five Fingers running shoes get the Big Word! The star of the television series, Hung star talks about his very first movie (a Bollywood musical!) and explains why shoes are like ‘tiny prisons for your feet’.

Last night, I went for an hour of barefoot running. I did not run for four days after the Singapore Bay Run/Army Half Marathon as I was nursing a persistent but mild cough. Although I did not get a lifetime PB for my 21K, I was pleased with my race pace especially my negative split timing for my second 10K. I could have smiled more during the race, and with my emaciated, lower-bodyfat runner’s face, I looked miserable.
My legs felt strong and stable, with immediate feedback from my running surface. With barefoot running, you can rapidly shift your next running step for a more comfortable one. In running terms - if you over-pronate - you can then supinate your feet. If you wear overly supported running shoes, your feet muscles learn to be lazy. Test this out for yourself when barefoot at the swimming pool: take a short run of about 10-15 metres. Notice how you land, and push off: are you on your heels when you land? Where exactly is it most comfortable, stable and safe?

The ball of our toes is the most powerful point of our feet. Have your cleats adjusted near that point n your cycling shoes and you will earn more speed. As David Greenfield of Elite Bicycles suggested, when we go on the alert position, our bodyweight is shifted to our balls of toes. To have our cleats positioned near the toes may prematurely fatigue our calves while cycling – you don’t want to do that! Ride in neutral position, not on your toes. Speak to master-fitter about this if you are not generating enough power and efficiency on your ride. It is worth it!

I merely use Vibram FF shoes (twice a week) to strengthen my leg and educate it to run more naturally. I am now running with smaller strides and higher cadence (more leg turnover). This is aligned with the Chi Running philosophy: I attended such a workshop about three years ago. Running barefoot feels like doing multiples sets of deep calf raises, for you do experience a deep, throbbing soreness and stiffness after you stop. So, it is useful to walk it out as a cool-down, and stretch your calves and hamstrings.
I will share about huaraches (featured on McDougall’s Born to Run), or the running sandal (used by the elite Tarahumara ultra-runners of the Copper Canyon of Mexico) shortly.

Countdown: One week to Berlin Marathon.
Photo credits: Army Half Marathon/SBR (top photo); Team FatBird (lower photo) 

No comments: