Monday, December 16, 2019

A Racing Summary of 2019

This year has proved to be tumultuous, insofar as racing was concerned.
After Chicago Marathon 2018, my Plantar Fasciitis (PF) reared its ugly head, and persisted through this year. I had to manage sub-optimal conditions for training, markedly reducing my running mileage, which was my strength. I spent most of my year riding indoors (on a spinning-cycle), swimming (including frequent open-water immersions), and minimal running.
I raced in five races altogether, with Powerman Malaysia as my first and only duathlon (run-ride-run). I did top-10, but off my 4th placing last year. I completed Challenge Roth for a second time, however within 10 minutes of its 15-hour cutoff timing. My body had gastrointestinal (GI) issues in the marathon, and my PF made running fast uncomfortable, and I succumbed to walking. I was grateful to have finished, to a resounding hero's welcome. I would strongly recommend Challenge Roth as a must-do long-distance triathlon.  
I did not get a Rolldown slot for the Ironman 70.3 World Championships 2020, when I was in Cebu, The Philippines this year. With a cancelled Ironman Gurye, Korea completing my second half-Ironman race seemed daunting and less motivating. Yet, I decided to complete it instead of abandoning the trip altogether. I was glad I stuck to the plan, and raced. I improved on my time slightly over that of Cebu's, earned a spot for Lake Taupo next year, and also a 2nd place in my Age Group. I was one of the oldest in my age group (AG), yet I stuck to guns when I emerged from swim in 4th (and stung painfully by jellyfish), ride (3rd) and 2nd, finally, in my AG. I have never done so well, and it happened after 14 years of racing the 113km triathlon. I had qualified for the world championships in 2008, 2009 and 2017 with 5th and 6th placings, and this was the best I have ever placed. Timing-wise, it was not my best on a brand-new, unfamiliar and congested course - yet it was one of my most memorable and joyful racing experiences. 
It was a sweet taste to a troubled and ineffectual year of racing internationally. I also had time to determine and decide if endurance multi-sports racing was still relevant and important to me. 
Leadership Lessons Learnt: We may be surprised by how things may end, despite poor starts and tough 'middles'. As with most matters being JOURNEYS, we can learn to extract wisdom from each each experience. By distilling each outcome (result) with an eagerness to learn, we can glean something of value which we can take with us at our next foray, challenge or excursion. 

No comments: