Thursday, June 2, 2011

Leading with Good Business Goals

Why would you start a business? Would it be because you get to print name-cards that read important titles like ‘Managing Director’, ‘CEO’, ‘Business Owner’ or ‘Entrepreneur’? During the Dot Com (or Dot Bomb) era, young would-be entrepreneurs had job titles that read ‘CEO’, ‘CFO’, ‘CIO’ and ‘Evangelist’.

Having established your business, how long do you intend to operate it? Established large companies have elaborate goals described as Mission and Vision statements. They may include Core Values that describe their philosophies behind their business.

It is necessary to set goals, or expected outcomes for your business. Goals create impetus and motivation to be fulfilled. Well-designed goals provide business-owners with clarity and a sense of relevance about their business. Annual revisions to these goals create a sense of progression and renewed purpose.

What could be useful goals for business?

1)    My business has to be meaningful to me and to others.
2)    My products and services that I provide can benefit others.
3)    I like to build a business that I can pass on to my staff.
4)    I like to be profitable so that I can assist greatly my philanthropic goals.
5)    I like to realize my potential as a creator, entrepreneur, and self-starter.
6)    I want to live behind a legacy that others may be inspired by, and resume my goals when I expire.
7)    I want to scale up to the next level of significance.
8)    I want to promote our brand so that it deserves a wider audience.
9)    I want to make my company attractive enough to be considered for purchase.
10) I want develop rich relationships and experiences of worth with my business partners and alliances.

Leadership Lessons: Take the time to review your goals: evaluate their achievability, relevance, meaningfulness, and if they are contemporary. This helps us reset our compass and bearings if results do not appear as expected.

No comments: