Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Coaching Moments

I enjoyed two training sessions with Australian triathlon professional, Pete Jacobs in the past week. Pete won second place at Ironman Roth last month with an 8:02 timing. He is a triple threat in triathlon: fast on the swim, ride and run. We worked on my run and swim techniques, which needed corrections insofar as optimizing on my physical attributes.

What I learnt most over the two, encouraging and insightful sessions were simple, however these were leverage points. By leaning forward slightly and using my arms to swing more, I could gather and muster more speed in my run. I was already an efficient runner, however I lacked the speed required to drive my run-times lower. My swim needed the most work, yet it should deliver the most result as I need to work more on my technique: mainly coordination, utilizing my core, and rhythm.

Learning to swim within a comfortable pace and rhythm was much tougher for me. Timing and pacing are vital aspects of one’s rhythm. Ballroom dancers work on timing to get their rhythm going. So, working with a metronome teaches us different timings and rhythms. Despite having some degree of confusion to work with, I was certainly encouraged by the fact that I can be a better and more effective swimmer once I get my technique down right. My coach, Craig Holland has been driving home this point to me for a long time, and perhaps, I may have paid scant attention as I lost some focus over my weaknesses. Weaknesses have a way of rearing their heads if we allow them to develop. Certainly, when we address our Achilles Heel, we can develop this into our potential strength.

Bad habits and ignorance can reinforce our weaknesses. Be mindful of these as you engage assistance from others to give you feedback and guidance. I am passionate about endurance sports because there is always so much to learn of ourselves, and from others. Choose to change for the better.

No comments: